Monday, October 18, 2010

In our own way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdlmKSjURo
Watch the video provided by the link above: 
So you are probably doubled over in laughter right now--you probably watched it twice--you probably went from that is hilarious to that dog is crazy.  That was my train of thought while watching it.  My favorite part of the video is when the dog shifts its bone to the ledge of the couch in order to hide the bone from his enemy.  I love the dramatic -  slow - ominous - impending paw suspensefully slide across the screen (a hitchockian action).  I know I should just end here; I should just leave a funny video funny, and not extrapolate any meaning or information from it, but I can't.  I can't stop thinking about how as a society we bite our own foot out of jealousy or greed or fear.  How many times have you seen someone sabotage their happiness because they couldn't just accept it?  I know that I get suspicious of happiness--that I look around for reasons why it shouldn't remain or exist (while writing that I realize how messed up that is).  I think that sincerity has gone by the wayside, and we are left in incredulity: we believe in want and need because we fear actual complacency.  I know complacency has a negative connotation to it, but why can we not just accept a moment of satisfied happiness, a glimmer of personal truth:  a this is me being happy vulnerability.  I know that there will always be pain and confusion in the world (that is inevitable), but I just want you, and me, and the world to enjoy the bone that we deserve without getting in our own way.  (Sorry for the rant)

2 comments:

  1. That makes sense. I was babysitting my brother and sister this weekend, and since the Xbox is hosed and I had literally *NOTHING* to do, I argued with conservatives on Yahoo! News. And this really sums up with what I was thinking the whole time: These people are hilarious to These people are crazy. Not really! What I was really thinking was that it's horrifying half of America is just as willing to disown the other half even though we live in the greatest country on Earth. In essence we are sabotaging our own happiness like the dog is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first when I watched this video I was laughing pretty hard, but afte reading your comments and looking at some of the youtube comments, I suddenly feel terrible watching it.

    ReplyDelete